Wednesday, June 08, 2011

The "Photo Expert"

Ah Beng: "Bro, you received the Sony image file I sent to you ah? The one with your face in it?"
Ah Seng: "Yup, replied ur email. The skin tone not bad, but colors still look a bit digital lah..."

Ah Beng: "How about the Olympus one I sent?"
Ah Seng: "Ah.. that one nicer... the skin tone I meant... doesn't look so digital... but I hate the noise!"

Ah Beng: "I'm just wondering... if you like film so much... why don't you shoot film?"
Ah Seng: "Shoot film troublesome lah... expensive... hard to find a good lab... etc etc..."

Ah Beng: "Hey, what do you think of that film scan I emailed to you, the one I shot with Lucky Color Film on my M6 the other day... remember?"
Ah Seng: "Oh yeah... I like the film look but... the skin tone sucks!"

Ah Beng: "How about the one I shot with Kodak Portra?"
Ah Seng: "Oh... that one the skin tone is nice... but when indoors, not so nice..."
Ah Beng: "You think it's better than digital?"
Ah Seng: "A bit grainy lah... I like the smoothness in digital... like the Sony's one."

Ah Beng: "I'm just wondering, since you like film look, but don't like grains; yet you prefer Portra's skin tone, but you don't like to shoot film; you prefer Oly's skin tone to Sony but don't like Oly's noise... what do you shoot with???"

Ah Seng: "Oh... Hahaha... I basically hang around forums commenting on others' shots... I own a Nikon but my son uses it more... I also do have a Canon but it's for leisure... you know... daily shots... but it's too bulky, so I usually leave it at home... But I usually try all sorts of cameras my friends have... when they bring their gears during our *Teh Tarik sessions..."

Ah Beng: "Oh, so you do photowalks during the Teh Tarik sessions?"
Ah Seng: "Erhem... we usually just sit down and talk..."

*(terminology: teh tarik means having tea)